As summer winds down, we are getting back in to education season! Here are two events coming up in October:
Parksville Weeklong School (Parksville, BC) – October 26-31, 2014
Courses are all held for the full week, and include:
- Arb and Order: Building the best case from grievance to arbitration;
- Duty to accommodate: every worker’s right!;
- Intro to stewarding PLUS SLS (Being an ally for equality; Handling grievances; Representing members in front of management; What’s our duty?);
- Occupational health and safety (basic); and
- Parliamentary procedure/public speaking.
For course descriptions, please see: http://www.cupe.bc.ca/sites/default/files/5%20Workshop%20Descriptions.pdf. For other information about Parksville School, please see the bottom of this page: http://www.cupe.bc.ca/resources/union-education.
NADC Fall School and Stewards Conference (Prince George, BC) – October 27-31, 2014
- Bullying and harassment (Oct 30-31);
- Collective Agreement bootcamp (Oct 27-31);
- Facing management (Oct 30-31);
- Note taking (Oct 30-31); and
- SLS (Building your case; Challenging racism in the workplace; disability issues for stewards; Hot topic: privatization; Mediating member to member conflict; Resolving grievances without going to arbitration) (Oct 29-31).
For more information, please see: http://www.cupe.bc.ca/sites/default/files/NADC%20-%20Oct%2027-31%20-%20PG%20REVISED_0.pdf We traditionally budget to send many members to NADC (as it is usually the best training opportunity for us in the north) and this year is no different.
Further information about NADC can be found on their web site
If you are interested in either of these training opportunities, please follow the instructions here: http://www.cupe3799.ca/committees/education/. Paper forms can be submitted at the CUPE office, and electronic forms can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and CC email@example.com. Please note that all original leave forms must be submitted to the office for Caroline’s initials before they go to HR – if you send us the original with your supervisor’s signature, we will get Caroline’s initials and submit the form to HR if you are approved to attend. The application deadline is noon on Tuesday, September 9, 2014. Late requests will not be accepted.